USPS Change of Address- Making an Address Change with USPS

usps address change

Moving to a new home can be a thrilling yet hectic experience, filled with numerous tasks that need attention. One crucial task in this process is updating your address, and for residents of the United States, this involves notifying the United States Postal Service (USPS).

USPS Change of Address

The USPS offers a simple and efficient system to change your address, ensuring that your mail follows you to your new residence. This service is designed to forward your mail from your old address to your new one, preventing any loss or interruption of important mail, such as bills, letters, or packages.

Whether you are moving permanently or temporarily, it is important to make this address change as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition. The USPS suggests doing so at least two weeks before your relocation. However, if this isn’t possible, updating as soon as you can is advised.

The following information will guide you through the process of changing your address with the USPS, the different methods available, and the necessary steps to take. With this guide, the task of updating your address should be a breeze, giving you one less thing to worry about in your moving process.

How Do I Change My Mailing Address With the USPS?

Changing your mailing address with the USPS can be done either online or in-person at any post office. Here’s how to do both:


  1. Visit the official USPS Change of Address website at
  2. Click on the “Start Forwarding Mail” button.
  3. You will be asked if your move is permanent or temporary. Choose the appropriate option and then specify the moving date.
  4. Fill in your old address and your new address.
  5. Provide your contact information.
  6. To verify your identity, you will be asked to pay a $1.10 identity validation fee using a credit or debit card.
  7. After the payment is made and your identity is verified, you will receive a confirmation email.


  1. Visit your local post office and ask for PS Form 3575, the Change of Address form.
  2. Fill out the form with all the necessary information, including your old address, new address, and moving date.
  3. Once completed, give the form to a postal worker at the counter or drop it into the letter mail slot inside the post office.
  4. The USPS will mail a confirmation letter to your new address.
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
error: Content is protected !!