Top Tips for Renovating Wooden Stairs
Wooden stairs can be a beautiful feature in properties of all ages and styles, but over time they can start to look tired and outdated.
A staircase renovation can completely transform the look of your home, adding value and style to your living space.
In this blog, we’ll share our top tips to help you renovate your wooden stairs and create a modern, stunning staircase.
Benefits of modernising your home’s wooden staircase
A wooden staircase renovation can not only enhance the appearance of your home, but also increase safety and functionality.
With the right improvements, a staircase renovation can even improve the flow of light and create a brighter, more welcoming atmosphere.
Additionally, modernising your staircase can significantly increase the value of your property.
Tips for modernising a wooden staircase
- Replace balustrades – One of the quickest ways to give your staircase a contemporary look is to replace the balustrades. There are many options available, including glass, metal and even LED lighting. Replacing worn-out wooden staircase balustrades with a modern option can create an open and airy feel.
- Change stair treads – Another option to consider when renovating your wooden stairs is to replace the stair treads. This will give your stairs a completely new look and feel. You can choose from a variety of materials, including wood, steel and even glass.
- Refinish or replace risers – The risers, the vertical parts of the steps, can also be refinished or replaced for a modern look. Choose a different material or colour to add contrast and visual interest.
- Increase Light Flow – Incorporating more light into your wooden staircase design is a great way to make it feel brighter and more welcoming. This can be achieved by installing a skylight or adding additional windows, or replacing solid wooden staircase balustrades with glass ones. This will not only brighten your home, but also help to create the illusion of a larger, more spacious staircase.
- Paint or stain – A fresh coat of paint or stain can do wonders for an old wooden staircase. Choose a modern colour that complements the rest of your home’s decor.
- Add under-stair storage – Make the most of the space under your wooden stairs by adding some functional storage. You can have drawers, shelves or even a closet built in.
- Install LED lighting – Adding LED lighting to your wooden staircase can add a touch of sophistication and modernity. You can install lighting under the stair treads, on the risers, or on the balustrades for a dramatic effect.
Wooden staircase renovation specialists
When renovating your wooden stairs, it is important to choose a reputable staircase installer. With over 30 years of experience, Abbott Wade is a leading provider of wooden staircase renovations. Their team of experts is dedicated to providing beautiful, bespoke staircases that are built to last, and their customer service is second to none.
Get in touch with their helpful team by calling 01744 634442. Alternatively, send them a message using the contact form on their website for a swift and well-informed response.