PL 900 Exam Study Guide
PL 900 is a certification exam offered by Microsoft. It is also called the Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals Exam. It focuses on the Microsoft Power Platform. This platform consists of applications that enable you to automate processes, analyze data, build solutions, and create virtual agents. Those who have experience in the Power Platform, want to upskill in it, or are Power Platform developers or technical leads can find this course useful. Those without prior knowledge can also take it up.
Skills measured in PL 900
The PL 900 exam measures a specific list of skills that the candidates have to clear to obtain a certificate from Microsoft. Each of these skills has a designated weightage in the overall exam. Below is the list of skills:
- Describe the business value of Power Platform
Weightage- 20-25 %
- Identify the core components of Power Platform
Weightage- 10-15 %
- Demonstrate the capabilities of Power BI
Weightage- 20-25 %
- Describe the capabilities of Power Apps
Weightage- 25-30 %
- Demonstrate business value of the Power Virtual Agents
Weightage- 5-10 %
- Demonstrate the capabilities of Power Automate
Weightage- 10-15 %
Microsoft mentions what constitutes each of the skills listed above on its “Microsoft Learn” platform.
Important points about the exam
This exam provides a certification like Microsoft’s azure certification. The following points are crucial to note for the Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals Exam (PL 900).
- The exam has a score range of 1 to 1000.
- The passing score for the exam is 700.
- The exam uses a scaled score instead of a raw score. A raw score is what you actually get. A scaled score, however, is a score that has been converted into a standardized score using the raw one.
- Because the exam uses a scaled score, the marks obtained do not represent the actual percentage. So, for example, a score of 800 out of 1000 does not mean 80 %.
- The difficulty of the questions and the skills and knowledge required to show competence are the basis of the exam’s passing score.
- The exam is available in English and localized into other languages. If opting for a language that is not your preference, you can ask for an extra 30 minutes for the exam.
- Microsoft lists further skills under each of the “skills measured” categories. These show how this exam assesses skills. The exam can cover topics related to these.
- Majority of the PL 900 exam covers “general availability” features. If the “Preview” features are commonly used, questions may be based on these too.
How to prepare for the PL 900 exam?
The Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals Exam has many areas to cover. You can perform well with a good strategy. Here are some ways that can help you prepare for this exam:
- Be thorough with the course:
Microsoft lists the skills it will test. Its website gives the course details required. Go through every point and see how much work you will need to build knowledge in the given areas. If you are already a working professional working with Microsoft’s Power Platform, you can cover the topics comfortably. If this is a new area for you, you should take your time studying everything.
- Utilize the Microsoft Learn platform:
The Microsoft Learn platform has documentation that can help with its certifications. Just like its azure certification, it provides material for its Power Platform. You can find documentation on areas including Power Apps, Power Automate, Power BI, Power Pages, and Power Virtual Agents.
- Take help on the Microsoft Learn Community:
Learning about a platform that requires practical application can lead to doubts. The Microsoft Learn platform has a “Q&A” section where you can ask technical questions, and the engineering community experts answer them. When you start typing your question, you can see matches with questions from the “Q&A” section, TechNet forums, MSDN, and Stack Overflow. Even though this includes separate platforms, you can fetch their questions if they match yours and see their answers. This will save time and let you move to the next topic.
- Pick a suitable study method:
You should choose a study method that suits you the best. This means allocating enough time for studying, practicing, and revising. It can be a challenge to handle this if you have a full-time job and want to upskill. So pick a method that takes all these factors into consideration. Take an online course, instructor-led classes, or do self-study. You will know which is the most effective method for you.
- Use exam dump sites:
Look for reliable exam dump websites for this course. These websites make available the exam’s previously asked questions. It is good to accustom yourself to the type of questions you may face. A new pattern can rattle you, and you may have difficulty answering even if you can apply yourself. Going through the questions will also help you see your strong and weak areas and prepare better.
- Practice using a sandbox for PL 900:
A sandbox gives a practical experience of applying the skills you learned. Microsoft courses like Microsoft 365 fundamentals, azure certification, etc., have many components. Practical application can help tremendously.
Make sure you cover everything when studying for the PL 900 exam. Creating a strategy and executing it well can help you clear the exam. Microsoft also allows for retaking the exam. Read the conditions for it carefully before taking it.