“Later” is a novel by the acclaimed author Stephen King, published in 2021 by Hard Case Crime. The story revolves around Jamie Conklin, a boy with a unique ability to see and communicate with the deceased. This supernatural gift, while intriguing, becomes a double-edged sword as Jamie finds himself entangled in complex moral dilemmas and dangerous situations. As he matures, his power draws the attention of a New York Police Department detective, further complicating his life.
Also Read:- Atonement Novel by Ian McEwan
The novel masterfully blends elements of crime and horror, showcasing King’s signature style of intertwining the supernatural with the human psyche. Set against the backdrop of New York City, “Later” delves deep into themes of innocence, the afterlife, and the consequences of secrets. It stands as a testament to King’s prowess in crafting stories that captivate and haunt readers long after the final page.
- Author: Stephen King
- Publication Date: March 2, 2021
- Publisher: Hard Case Crime
- Genre: Crime/Horror
2. Plot Summary: “Later” tells the story of Jamie Conklin, a young boy born with an unusual ability: he can see and communicate with the dead. This supernatural gift, however, comes with its own set of challenges and consequences. As Jamie grows older, he grapples with the moral and emotional implications of his power, especially when it intertwines with the lives of those around him, including his single mother and a New York Police Department detective. The narrative delves into the complexities of innocence, the boundaries between the living and the dead, and the haunting repercussions of secrets.
3. Unique Features:
- The novel is part of the Hard Case Crime series, known for blending elements of crime and horror.
- The book was released in paperback format with a limited hardcover release. The paperback edition showcases cover art by Paul Mann, while the limited hardcover edition features artwork by Gregory Manchess.
4. Reception: “Later” has been recognized as a blend of King’s signature horror elements with a crime-driven narrative. The novel has garnered attention for its exploration of the supernatural and its impact on the human psyche.
5. Adaptations and Further Reading: While “Later” is a standalone novel, its themes and style are reminiscent of King’s vast body of work, which often delves into the supernatural and the human condition.
For a more in-depth understanding and appreciation of the novel, readers are encouraged to explore reviews, discussions, and analyses available on platforms like Wikipedia, Goodreads, and the official Stephen King website.